My Story

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

And So It Begins...

A full-time divorced mother of two sons finds true love with full-time divorced father of a daughter and son.  Just like that, the lucky in love couple marries and a new blended family was created, along with a stepmom (SM),  stepfather, the Bio exes, step-siblings, step-grandparents, and even a step-dog.   If you're reading this, you're probably starting to relate right about now.   After all, isn't this the way all new stepfamilies' stories begin? 

Now as any eager and undoubtedly delusional new stepmom would do, I began to look for answers anywhere I could.  I have been a part of a Stepfamily group, sat through many Stepfamily retreat weekends,  joined Facebook groups, anything Stepmom, I'm there.  I have spent many afternoons wandering the aisles of bookstores in search of any self-help literature out there that can assist me in being a supportive SM.  I have found several GREAT tools out there to help us when our SM worlds go wrong; however, I just need a little more than what I'm getting.

Folks, I'm a realist.  If my life is in shambles, I don't want to read about how it will be better if I pray about it.  Now, before I lose you, I am in no way discounting prayer or saying that leaning on your faith when things get rough is somehow wrong.  In fact, just the opposite.  However, when I'm caught in the eye of my family drama, that's just not what I want to do.  If my stepdaughter is lying and being manipulative, I don't want to pray for her just yet, instead I want to rip her hair out.  If my husband is being played and blind to what is happening, I want to poke his eyes out too.  If the BioMom is unleashing her terror, I want to be her worst nightmare.  Of course, this is all my in my head.  Never would any of this really ever take place because my husband and I have always allowed ourselves to be jerked around for the "sake of the kids".  You know what I'm talking about ladies.  We're classier than the BioMom, so we certainly can't rip into her the way we would normally like to if our marriages, families and children weren't at stake?  Consider this blog a safe haven to vent your frustrations and voice your dirty thoughts.  No judgment here. 

I am happy to report that I have been bravely steppin' for 10 years now but there are many occasions when this good girl gets tired of being the better person.  For once, I'd like to be the witch (with a capital B) that they claim I am!

So come on fellow SMs and meet me here for a little SM timeout.  I look forward to getting our halos dirty together because Sometimes a Stepmom just needs a Moment... or two...or three!




No comments:

Post a Comment